Want to use your skills as a web developer to serve movements for social justice, community impact and positive change? Are you interested in your next job contributing to a more equitable world?
Our team believes that to be good ancestors we must center our work around advancing equity. We are committed to getting messy, holding space for necessary conversations and experimenting together. We do this by collectively recognizing and honoring our interdependence so we can co-design and implement practices and systems that are anti-racist and build belonging for us all. We invite you to review our values.
rootid is seeking someone with Drupal and WordPress experience to help with the execution of our communications strategy services to nonprofit partners. If you enjoy getting to dig into a component-based development approach and have a coaching mindset when working with clients then we would love to hear from you.
Since 2011, our team has partnered with over 400 nonprofit & social impact organizations through direct agency services & community education partnerships. Our collaborative approach is leading to growth and now rootid is expanding our team, agency services and education products to serve more nonprofits in a variety of ways.
Come join our 6+ person team of designers, developers and educators — who hold a diversity of lived experiences and include activists, artists, authors, makers, nature enthusiasts and musicians.
- Someone who challenges entrenched power dynamics and respects all voices
- Someone who believes that brand and communications strategy are tools for social change
- A person is aligned with the Design Justice Network Principles
- Someone who thrives on community engagement projects and programs
- Someone who wants to deeply contribute locally, nationally and globally to help towards the development of the next generation of educators, activists, changemakers, social entrepreneurs and technologists
- Someone who hungers to learn more to refine and push your own thinking and/or patterns
Some of What You’ll Do:
Accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Building and supporting Drupal and WordPress sites using our documented, component-based approach.
- Custom front end and theme layer development.
- Custom module development, custom plugin development and the maintenance of existing custom code.
- Documenting code and processes, and participating in peer reviews.
- Working with git to commit your code regularly.
- Participating in client meetings and workshops.
- Actively contributing to the continual improvement of our processes and product.
- Support in the process of scoping projects.
- Talking directly with clients about their technical challenges and business needs and documenting their requirements.
- Collaborate with designers, developers, digital specialists, and production specialists to establish a plan of deliverables.
- Proactively recognize and assess nonprofit community partner and team needs and prepare potential solutions to meet those needs. Where necessary, lead on the documentation and implementation of solutions.
- Answering technical questions from others on the team.
- Most importantly, having fun working with an incredible team!
- Strong knowledge of web standards, usability, and accessibility.
- Experience using both Drupal & WordPress strongly preferred.
- Strong command of SASS and Bootstrap (or other CSS frameworks).
- Experience using Git, Gulp, Composer and other package managers.
- Experience using Twig is nice to have, but not required.
- Comfortable using command line tools like WPCLI, drush, etc. a bonus, but not required.
- Experience with user testing and quality assurance.
- Competencies in Google Docs.
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex projects strategically and thoughtfully, to achieve outcomes that serve the diverse needs of varying stakeholders.
- Ability to be self-directed and take initiative, working independently and collectively in teams.
- Alignment and commitment to our shared Core Values.
- Contributing and supporting a culture of learning, sharing, experimenting and feedback.
- Ability to pay attention to details and nuance while also holding a vision of the bigger picture.
- Multi-lingual a plus
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
Some flexibility in hours is allowed, but the employee must be available during the “core” work hours of 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. PST and must work 35 hours each week to maintain full-time status.
The Experience You’ll Bring:
- Interest and involvement in progressive social change work
- 3+ years of experience working as a website developer (contract or staff).
- Passion for the web and open source development.
- Inclusive, supportive, and thoughtful interpersonal communication skills.
- Experience with modern development tools and methods such as atomic and responsive design, gitflow, container-based environments, task runners, CSS preprocessors, IDEs, and CI/CD platforms
- Demonstrated ability to track and manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Medical Insurance - up to $375/mo.
- Full-Time Remote
- Co-work space stipend of $200/month
- Continuing education and training opportunities - $750/yr
- 2 weeks sick leave
- 15 paid annual holidays
- 2 weeks starting vacation growing to 3 weeks over time
- Paid family & medical leave
- 401k and employer 3% match after 1 year of employment
- Salary - $65k - $75k depending on experience
Join us and become a part of social impact through brand transformation and communications capacity building as we work to convene people, ideas & resources, to build agency & communications capacity within the nonprofit sector — collaboratively envisioning the change we want to see.
Instructions for Applying:
Send your application to email@example.com using the subject line: “Application: Full-time Web Developer, FULL NAME” and let us know a little about you. Only applications with brief cover letters or video/audio messages, resumes and project samples (please share the URLs of 2-3 live projects with a sentence or two describing your role) will be reviewed. We will be accepting applications ongoing— the first review date is April 19th.
rootid is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone to our team. We strongly encourage black, indigenous, people of color, LGBTQIA++, women, gender non-conforming and non-binary, individuals with disabilities, veterans and parents to apply. rootid will also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance.
**Frequently cited statistics show that women, trans, and non-binary people as well as other structurally marginalized groups apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. rootid encourages you to break that statistic and to apply.**
If you need accommodation at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.